Monday, September 13, 2010

Seven Snarks for Seven Brothers



Some more faux-cabbalah numerological teasing from the Admirable Carroll. In this case seven days-to-a-week and five marks-of-the-Snarks are being bandied about with an alarming insouciance. The Bellman is explicating all of this with his steam-powered magic lantern, a Victorian ancestor of the modern-day petrol-driven flatscreen TV.

The attentive reader plucking at my ink-sodden sleeve with his pesky insistence that I explain the previous cabbalistic reference is to be ignored. Focus your eyes instead on my horse-driven pencil as I divide 42 (the Ur-Number of The Hunting of the Snark) by the product of 7 and 5 to obtain the number 1.2, which I them multiply by 7, and then multiply by 5, to obtain … 42!

Of such inexplicable yet amazing coincidences have entire religions (and even financial systems) been built upon, as Bertrand Russell once pointed out, far more succinctly than I.

Snark Film Update … some art and an interview with a matte painter (named Matt, what else?) on the soon-to-be-released-somewhere McNeff live-action version of the Snark. Share and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. As for entire religions building on operations on 42, you (and Russel) may be right. However, recently it has been observed that in financial systems (with "2" standing for "bowsprit" and 4 standing for "rudder") 42 has been multiplied by 4. The result then has been devided by 7. We all know the result, but perhaps I am the first one who can tell how it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I should not have brought poor Russell into it … he would have pointed out that numbers are always truthful in their operations, it is we humans who cannot be satisfied with just that, and only that

    ReplyDelete